National Geographic Photo Books

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Y-DNA Haplogroup Update

The Italy DNA Project now has fifty y-DNA members, so I thought this would be a good time to update the haplogroup frequency data for the project. Here's the current version:


Haplogroup

Estimated Frequency of Haplogroups in Italian Population
Calculated Frequency of Haplogroups in Italy DNA Project
E3b1
12%
20%
E3b3
3%
0%
G2
6%
6%
I1a
2%
4%
I1b
1%
8%
I1c
2%
0%
J1
2%
4%
J2
25%
34%
K
3%
0%
L
1%
4%
Q3
1%
0%
R1a1
2%
2%
R1b
40%
18%


I have highlighted the haplogroups where we are still seeing what I consider to be a significant difference between our group and my best analysis of the overall Italian population. Our sample size is still small, though, so just a handful of participants can skew the numbers high or low.

Still, I suspect that our sample is biased towards southern Italy (due to the patterns of emigration to the U.S. from Italy in the late 1800's and early 1900's) which accounts for the dearth of R1b and the abundance of E3b and J2. But even then, the frequency of these haplogroups in our project is higher than some estimates for southern Italy itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home